Are you looking for ways to improve your students’ comprehension, critical thinking, and reasoning skills all while meeting the Common Core State Standards? If so, you will not want to miss this one-day learning experience surrounding Close Reading. Through reading, viewing video, and dialogue, you will discover dozens of practical strategies and engaging techniques that are guaranteed to improve student achievement. This learning adventure is interactive, goal-focused, and instruction-based.
Once again, I wanted to extend my gratitude to the teachers at CSPS for their attendance and engagement during our Close Reading learning experience. I am amazed and awed by the incredible work being done in our district. I am blessed to follow and extend their work in this crazy thing called education.
- My wickedly awesome colleague Dave Stuart’s Common Core State Standards Blog and his explanation of debates.
- Our CSHS Writing Handbook
- The American Rhetoric speeches
- Our VoiceThread on The Arrival graphic novel
- Gerald Graff and Cathy Birkenstein’s book They Say, I Say: the Moves that Matter in Academic Writing, which has really pushed my thinking about why we close read in the first place